Dear John and Philip,
    Concur with you both - I had been going to observe to John, more or less exactly as he said himself, that other than his pony, 'Dolly Bobs', in India, he never owned a horse for himself and there is no record of him ever riding in England though very early on, they had a pony for the children.  At Rottingdean before he went car mad, both he and Carrie used bicycles as their personal transport - though I don't think they did any serious cycling at Burwash - it would have been fine coming home downhill (which happened whichever way you went), butto get anywhere you first had to make a long trek uphill.
    Yours,
    Alastair
PS - I hadn't even heard the quote which Philip producd - where did it come from (apart from Guy Paget)?