...and archivists, digital preservation folks and all manner of other
information professionals!

The University of Sheffield is hosting a two-day course for information
professionals, under the Library Carpentry banner. Library Carpentry is for
all librarians, and especially those who work with large amounts of data
and metadata, not just those with systems responsibilities. It will focus
on skills that you can begin to apply immediately in your day-to-day work.
The course is intended to give you a base from which to develop further
skills appropriate to your role, and you will gain the most benefit by
attending as part of a group from your institution with whom you can
continue to learn and develop.

The objective of the course is for learners to begin developing their
data(/metadata) handling skills to be able to manipulate and use it more
efficiently. The uses for these skills are many and various, but include
cleaning up and integrating usage statistics from different vendors,
bulk-updating metadata records and much more. We aim to:

   - Demystify software and data to make them more approachable for
   participants
   - Provide participants with specific skills and tools directly
   applicable to their own work
   - Give participants a sound base on which to build further self-directed
   professional development in this area
   - Establish the beginnings of a local community to support such
   professional development
   - Encourage participants to pass on learning to peers at their own
   institutions

It is a single course run over two days, Tuesday 7 and Thursday 23 March,
so attendees will need to be available for both dates if at all possible.
It will take place in the Information Commons at the University of
Sheffield and is free of charge to attend.

More details and registration: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/library/carpentry

More information about Library Carpentry: http://librarycarpentry.github.io/

We also have a small number of travel bursaries available, so please
contact me ([log in to unmask]) if your employer is unable to fund
your attendance. The booking deadline is fast approaching, so register now!

Many thanks,
Jez