Isn’t “science communication” too broad to be a single profession. Can you lump the dregs of science journalism in with the heights of science festivals?

What does professionalization mean? Paper qualifications? Codes of conduct? Registration?

From the J side of the fence – perhaps some might not see that as science communication – I have always seen what I do as a trade rather than a profession.

You don't need bits of paper to prove that you can do the job. Just the ability to ask (hopefully) awkward questions and write a few coherent sentences.

One thought, would “professionalization”, and the need for bits of paper, if that is what it means, restrict entry to the fun and games?

In the south west, if you are looking for media reptiles, I suggest talking to IoP Publishing, creator of many a fine magazine (Physics World etc.) and journals.

MK