Hi Michael, Ellen and Melanie

Thanks all—I think the NCCPE analysis offers a useful evidence-based perspective on the types of impacts that were evidenced (as does the recent post by Melanie et al.). Together, these outputs shed some light on what was submitted to REF 2014.

We know much less, empirically speaking, about the decisions that were made not to submit impact case studies and evidence of impact, and whether the REF 2014 rules effectively ruled out forms of, approaches to, impact. So that’s one concern, that researchers/UoAs are self-censoring.

Michael raises the issue of a focus on economic impacts. My concern, and I’m sure many share this, is the long-term influence on research. Will a focus on economic impact downplay and de-prioritise other forms of impact and other forms of research? As Ellen suggests, does the assessment become a marketing exercise for a small number of universities, working to generate economic impact with a small number of stakeholders/end-users? That would be a disservice to researchers and to the stakeholders, end-users and members of the public with whom they could be engaging.

Hence, would introducing an assessment of rigour improve or hinder the REF 2014 system? Is it a solution in search of a problem? Would it make the system more equitable, meritocratic and transparent?

Michael—in my experience researchers find policy impacts to be: a) difficult to evidence in terms of specific impacts; and b) a ‘risky’ pathway to follow when planning for impact, not least because of the potential for considerable effort to yield very little reward.

Best wishes

Rick