Dear all,

I’ve written quite a bit about this as it relates to information design (id). One of the earliest was in a syllabus for an ID course back in the late 1960s It never got off the ground. More recently I wrote about it in a response to the ICOGRADA Manifesto. It was called “Critical Reflections on a Manifesto”

This was written as part of a critique of today’s graphic design courses that miss out some key skills for making the transition from graphic design to communication design.

One of my best general accounts of the skills involved in ID was a paper I gave at an ID conference that we ran in Canberra in 1990:

SLESS D. 1992. What is information design?, in R. Penman & Sless D. (ed.) Designing Information For People: 1-16. Canberra: Communication Research Press.

Even though I wrote it when the internet and web were not even a twinkle in our eyes, I still think it’s relevant today. What may surprise some of you is that among the major skills I include philosophy

For the insomniacs amongst you, go to
https://www.academia.edu/449792/What_is_Information_Design

David
--

blog: http://communication.org.au/blo <http://communication.org.au/blo>g/
web: http://communication.org.au <http://communication.org.au/>

Professor David Sless BA MSc FRSA
CEO • Communication Research Institute •
• helping people communicate with people •

Mobile: +61 (0)412 356 795
Phone: +61 (03) 9005 5903
Skype: davidsless

60 Park Street • Fitzroy North • Melbourne • Australia • 3068