Dear Stephen, Gunnar, and All,

Stephen Allard wrote:

—snip—

Be that as it may and as distasteful as the video comes off...one of the changing realities is that same conspiracy site has opened a Washington bureau and may be included as part of the White House press corps.  This is a small canary in the coalmine moment for the way we design and consume our communications media.

Yes we can reference and compare early modern or even ancient history as we discuss the trends of the day (this is what scholars tend to do best).  We can critique a position or its credibility as a source of facts as expressed through design, but it is these fringe areas of fact generation that in the end will give us clues as to how and where we go towards.  This is the one of the actionable domains of scholarship, to be able to distill data and report where it is we are going based on historical narratives.

—snip—

Jonathan Albright is a professor at Elon University who studies some of these phenomena. He used to work at Google, and before that at Yahoo. You can follow his work here:

https://www.elon.edu/e/directory/profile.html?user=jalbright8

And learn more about it here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article125143304.html

http://fortune.com/2016/11/28/map-fake-news/

https:[log in to unmask]

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn