Dear Marcio,

- My hope is that the countless innovations that have been contributed to design (and all other fields) by women, will increasingly be recognized until, finally, we no longer question whether they are / have been making a contribution.

- Recognizing contributions, innovations, experiences, histories from traditional-male-white designers ONLY works for those male-white-designers. It has worked for thousands of years. Hopefully, we are fighting to move beyond it.

- As you said, much amazing PhD work in feminist design, feminist HCI, intersectionality, critical design, etc. has taken and is taking place. With my limited (but some) experience, I believe the same for engineering. That is fantastic. Let's do our part in recognizing that it exists and celebrating its innovation.

- Some designers have an innovative mindset. But capacity for innovation, or level of intelligence or education do not guarantee lack of gender or racial bias (bias of any kind). History has proven that point, time and time again.

- Can conservative, narrow minded designers be good innovators? Sure they can. They have been in the past. That's not the point. The points are: do we want to continue designing within a narrow mindset; do we want, as a community, to continue supporting biased mindsets and practices; or are we willing to educate ourselves, listen to the experiences of others, and look beyond our narrow view points?

Final thought, as you seem to want to be an ally to "the women designers cause", I would suggest looking at what's been written on how to be a good ally. There's been some incredibly valuable stuff written on this in the past few years.

With all respect,

Milena Radzikowska, MDes, PhD
Associate Professor of Information Design

http://www.milenaradzikowska.com
https://medium.com/@milenaradzikowska

It's a great life if you don't weaken.

This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.