Hi Don,

Thinking a little more on the history of design research and design research methods....

Of course, long before Engineering Design and Art and Design developed, was Design Theory in Mathematics and its research methods stretching back to Pythagoras and before. Mathematics of course was the earliest user of the term 'Design Theory' of any design field and still provides a tremendous basis for thinking about difficult design situations.
The Arab scientists of the Middle Ages were especially strong on research to build design theory.

As I've said before it would be helpful if that kind of advanced Maths was taught more in design schools.... :-)

In art and design and engineering design it was the basis of Gestalt and, Function/Attribute methods, Morphological analysis  and other design methods.

For more info see for example http://www.maths.qmul.ac.uk/~pjc/design/resources.html

Cheers,
Terry

==