Dear Ken

Indeed!
Jokes can do many things - from opening up a discourse to shutting one
down.
Let us selected our fools carefully.
I very much appreciate the links you have provided.
The School I am in is becoming a NEW school of Creative Industries - it
will be welcomed this very afternoon.
Colleagues from Communication are just now sending each other papers that
talk to the issues we have touched on here.

One of the papers raises literature about the uses of nostalgia in
scholarly communities.

 http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0038026116681439

Nostalgia can be used, it argues, to soften the blow and make us all feel
better.
And/or nostalgia can be used to promote a re-evaluation of what is going
on with the purpose of establishing - re-establishing the perceived values.

Another aspects talked about is Authenticity.

When I put these together I get a sentimentalising of the experience of
TRYING.
We all tried to understand. We all tried to solve cancer. We all tried
very very very very hard. We all once were intellectual try-hard warriors.
What we look back to is TRYING and what we look forward to is being
allowed to continue TRYING - because we are so good at TRYING?.

I take Socrates/Plato and Aristotle to be about FINDING rather than TRYING.
Who cares about TRYING?
Sure, you will not get anywhere without perseverance - that is a given.
But those who FIND donıt care about the TRYING they experienced in order
to FIND. (Do or do not - there is no try!)
If youıve pulled the sword out of the rock - get on with the future!

Cheers

On 23/2/17, 8:48 pm, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD
studies and related research in Design on behalf of Ken Friedman"
<[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]>