From: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ken Friedman
Sent: Saturday, February 04, 2017 10:50 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are politicians designers?

Hi, Klaus,

You wrote,

—snip—

if you ask a politician whether he or she is a designer, the answer is a clear NO if you ask an engineer whether he or she is a designer, the answer is NO as well even if you ask an architect whether he or she is a designer, the answer is most likely NO

i read that designers design products, politicians don't terry wrote that designers write specifications, politicians don't ken said once a politician is elected he becomes a designer, i wouldn't call a politician a designer unless he or she agrees to this designation, which i doubt any politician will.

—snip—

I’ve got to agree with you in one respect, yet I’ve also got to disagree.

If all responsible designations must be self-designations, it would be difficult to discuss the world around us. I recall the well-known politician Richard Nixon announcing, “The president is not a crook.” Many of us would see key parts of the Nixon career in a different light, but the fact remains that he was neither impeached nor convicted. Of course, we don’t accept self-designation as the only measure of some cases.

In a more reasonable light, I’d say that there are many people who do not self-designate as designers, yet who nevertheless design. That’s the core of Herbert Simon’s definition of the activity of design: “Everyone designs who devises courses of action aimed at changing existing situations into preferred ones.”

There are several more issues. One is the question of those who self-designate as design professionals, people who are paid to undertake design as professional designers. Another is the question of people who do not self-designate as designers, yet are nevertheless paid as professional actors to “[devise] courses of action aimed at changing existing situations into preferred ones.”

I agree with several points of view, including — but not limited to — my own. I have been interested for many reasons in comments by Mitch Sipus, Liz Goodman, and Ali Ilhan. Now you’ve raised an idea that I have not considered.

Is it is possible to recognize and designate someone as a member of any profession when they do not declare themselves to be such? Does their own self-designation matter if they do what self-designating professionals do when someone pays them to do so?

Simon’s definition includes almost all practicing professions and most professional practices. That virtue may also be a flaw.

Yours,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Tongji University in Cooperation with Elsevier | URL: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/she-ji-the-journal-of-design-economics-and-innovation/

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn