Hello all

Do your stores sound like ours? Do you actively control the temperature and RH within? If so, I would love to hear from you.

Bucks County Museum Resource Centre is based in a former 1930s primary school with the collection stores occupying the former classrooms and associated spaces. The majority are roughly 6 x 7m and around 3.5m high. There are a couple of larger stores and a few smaller ones. The windows have been double- ‘glazed’ with the glass replaced by aluminium sheet/insulating composite sandwich units.

Up until recently we have used the existing water-filled radiator system along with Defensor PH14 humidifiers to control the RH. We also had a few de-humidifiers but most of these have become illegal over time due to the refrigerants used. In an attempt to improve the situation Bucks County Council sought the advice of a consultant who came up with close-control units that were so large in size and so expensive as to be impractical and so, we are now having to reconsider our options. We are currently looking on websites for possible bits of kit but thought it would be great to hear from someone who is currently maintaining a number of small, non-purpose built stores with some degree of success.

If you think you can help please get back to me off-line at [log in to unmask]

Thanks

Mike

Mike Palmer

Keeper of Natural History

Bucks County Museum Resource Centre

Tring Road, Halton, Bucks, HP22 5PN

T: 01296 325223

E: [log in to unmask]

www.buckscountymuseum.org

The Buckinghamshire County Museum Trust is a company registered in England and Wales with charity number 1153345, VAT registered no. 190261031. Buckinghamshire County Museum Enterprises Limited is a company registered in England and Wales, company no. 8361953