Hi all,

Here is the link to New Zealand’s most recent national survey:
http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/maternity-consumer-survey-2014

I think that it is not only the language used in a survey but the context of
care and the meaning of the questions to the women in that context that
needs to be considered in interpreting and comparing responses to these
surveys. The organisation of the particular maternity system is fundamental
to the way women experience their care and their maternity journey. For
example, in New Zealand continuity of care means something different to a
woman in England; it does not mean ‘a midwife known to the woman’ (who the
woman has met once or maybe twice, but the midwife doesn’t ‘know’ the
woman). Most women have their own midwife (Lead Maternity Carer) who
provides their primary maternity care throughout their pregnancy, labour and
birth (wherever that is planned or actually takes place) and up to 6 weeks
postnatally (whether secondary medical input is required or not).

Having come from the New Zealand context, I am learning a lot about
maternity care experiences from women who have given birth recently in
England, in my current research role. In further contrast I also have a
daughter who has recently experienced the Dutch maternity care system twice
(I also studied the Dutch maternity system on a small research fellowship
many years ago). I think care must be taken with interpreting responses to
‘satisfaction’ surveys without understanding of their context.

We know that women have a tendency to be satisfied with the unsatisfactory –
look at the lives of women all around the world! Or, in terms of the
provision of health care ‘what is must be best’.

Also, once women’s expectations have been raised, they can be dissatisfied
with their care or experience, even when it goes well beyond anything they
could expect or experience anywhere else in the world. The responses to
questions by the women in Aotearoa/New Zealand relate to what they have come
to expect, including a required minimum of 7 postnatal visits from their
midwife (5 of which are in the woman’s home) up to six weeks postpartum
(midwives are only paid a supplement for more than 20 postnatal visits in
their contract for the provision of maternity care:
http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/life-stages/maternity-services/primary-ma
ternity-services-notice-section-88). A woman who has one or two postnatal
visits from a midwife in the first week postpartum as their only (+/-
midwifery) postnatal care would clearly be expressing ‘satisfaction’ about
markedly different postnatal care. Another example might be women’s
‘satisfaction’ with their experience of postnatal care in a hospital or
primary maternity unit/birth centre, this experience may have lasted 2–6
hours in some settings and 48 or more hours in others. I hope those
comparing national surveys consider these issues.

Best wishes

Celia.