Hi Simon, all

Thanks for the report - useful, and good reading.

I’m interested in the basic question, though - which as you outline below is put forwards as “in-house vs 3rd party”.

In my experience, the process of [building/developing/adapting] in-house very often isn’t a feasible thing for 95% of museums, even when in-house systems have good API’s (most don’t) - it’s just too complex and expensive a thing to do.

So what I think this tends to become is a slightly different question, which is: “which of these 3rd party tools should we use?”, and then “how can we make these tools work better together?”.

I’ve just sketched out a simple diagram when thinking about this with some likely paths between these systems, and the data that is shared or duplicated between them and it comes as no surprise that it’s an absolute minefield. Even something as apparently simple as event data (ticketed or not) can and probably will exist in lots of places at once - website, ticketing system, CRM, etc. In order to make things work fluidly together you then have to sync stuff, which means API’s you can write to, data consistency, etc - and it all rapidly becomes easier to just paste in stuff from Excel :-)

The problem as I see it is typically that “Goliath systems” (often labelled “CRM”) are brought in to solve these complexities - but then the end result is a system which actually doesn’t do any of those component parts well. A common example: organisations who are shackled to using their CRM system to send bulk emails, when they know that MailChimp does this much better.

It seems to me that the “small pieces loosely joined” approach is the only one that will work. It’s just trying to understand how best to do the joining..

cheers

Mike

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency
http://thirty8.co.uk

** NEW: http://wpformuseums.com for people using WordPress in museums **
** Workshops, courses and free downloads: http://trainingdigital.co.uk **