Dear colleagues,

I appear to be getting more and more queries relating to individual Google Scholar Citation profiles and I’m finding it quite difficult to get definitive advice as to how to fix them.  I’m usually relying on a bit of sleuthing and trial and error. So my first general question is whether anyone knows of any source of troubleshooting advice on GS? (Apart from the GS FAQ which is not always helpful).

My more specific question is whether anyone has had an issue with their institutional ranking on Google Scholar (where you search for an institution and it lists all the academics associated with that institution in rank order by citation count)?  Because of the age-old author disambiguation problem, we have quite a few PhD students with common Asian names appearing in our Top 10 author list who have had papers erroneously assigned to them, thus falsely inflating their citation count.  This is causing some disgruntlement amongst those usurped of a Top 10 place!  I think the only way of fixing this is to ask the individuals involved to remove the erroneous papers, however, this is challenging when the individuals have left.  Does anyone have an experience or advice on this? I know you can report problems to Google but I’m not confident of getting a response.  Anyone tried this?

Thanks all!

Lizzie

Elizabeth Gadd MSc, MCLIP, FHEA

Research Policy Manager (Publications)

Research Office

Loughborough University

Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU

Tel: 01509 228594

Skype: lizziegadd

Twitter: @lizziegadd

Email: [log in to unmask]

Working Hours: Mon 8.30-5; Tues & Wed 8.30-3

View my latest publication!

Google Scholar Citation Profile

http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4509-7785

http://about.me/elizabeth.gadd