"Unrepentant humanists"  may actually be the BEST weathervanes of the trends in academic zeitgeist, Alex ...

The whole thread is interesting (and somewhat depressing) in highlighting the way that prioritising the TII similarity score has created something of a false target for students (and those institutions who are using it as a blunt instrument of policy).  Clearly it can be a useful TOOL for those marking for quickly flagging up possible areas of concern, but there are too many anomalies to make it a simple or reliably robust measure.

Focus on the score as a visible and important metric in the submission process only increases student anxiety about it.  Creating this awareness of it as something that can be a "problem" for students can serve to deflect attention away from them actually concentrating on producing appropriately high quality pieces of work that use citation and referencing properly.  Obviously students who are setting out to plagiarise and beat the system will deploy various strategies to try and do so, and letting them submit multiple versions and tweak them can only encourage this.

One might also (entirely speculatively, of course !) conceive that TII could be carelessly deployed by less than rigorous or time-pressed academics who may feel that being led by similarity scores saves time and effort by contrast with having to diligently appraise the work they are marking.

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alexander Cuthbert
Sent: 21 February 2017 16:32
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Using Turnitin/Electronic submission

I've never heard that one before! Reminds of a similar urban myth doing the rounds a few years back about a PhD student who got rumbled after they had tried to submit a thesis several thousand words over the limit by using white text hyphen's to return a false word count in Word.
Re. TurnitIn, this is a very enlightening thread and it has thrown up some really useful resources. For my part, I remain uneasy about students developing academic writing and editing skills in response to feedback generated by a database, attempting to achieve an arbitrary score, rather than editing their work to present a coherent communication of their understanding. I would prefer students were encouraged to write 'in the open' far more, during tutorial sessions, for peer-reviewing discussions, and writing collaboratively, but I fully accept that well-marketed digital plagiarism deterrents are very enticing and that unrepentant humanists, like myself, may not be the best weathervanes of the academic zeitgeist in any case.
BW
Alex

Dr Alex Cuthbert  PGCAP, FHEA, ADG
Study Skills Adviser
Study Skills Service, LT609
6th floor, Livingstone Tower, 26 Richmond Street, Glasgow G1 1XH

0141 548 4062/4064

My usual office days are Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays (until 2pm)
www.strath.ac.uk/studyskills/<http://www.strath.ac.uk/studyskills/>

http://classes2016-2017.myplace.strath.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=19550
[sigpic]
The University of Strathclyde is registered as a charitable body in Scotland, number SC015263.