From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Helen Heywood
Sent: 20 February 2017 15:55
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Using Turnitin/Electronic submission

Good afternoon,

We have been using Turnitin for the past 3 years and during that time I have been pushing for the following:-

1.        Students to be allowed to submit work to Turnitin prior to the actual submission date so that they can receive an originality report, to check their level of plagiarism. They could then seek guidance on how to address this, thus increasing their understanding of plagiarism.

2.       For the University to have a clear policy of what constitutes an 'acceptable level' of originality? Some lecturers are failing students for having a 30% originality score, others a 50%.

Lecturers have been told to use their own academic  judgement, but this has left the students somewhat confused by the marking associated with the varying levels.

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to share what happens in your Universities if you are using electronic submission, with regard to student submission, and if you have any policy documentation regarding originality reports.

Kind regards,

Helen Heywood
[http://www.marjon.ac.uk/media/marjon/promotions/email-signature/Email_Signature_Image.jpg]