While we are talking about how many hours students might be expected to devote to producing written assignments, has anyone considered how much time an assessor might be expected to spend assessing one (and ideally giving the writer constructive feedback)?

Dr Derek Rowntree

________________________________
From: learning development in higher education network <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Hancock, Jessica <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 15 February 2017 14:50
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Assessment workload and assessment tariffs

Hi

Ours are guidelines rather than rules, but here are the suggestions for a 20 credit module:

100% of total assessment load: 3000 words or equivalent at L1 and L2
4000 words or equivalent at L3, LH and LM

70% of total assessment load: 2000 words or equivalent at L1 and L2
3000 words or equivalent at L3, LH and LM

50% and under of total assessment load:  1500 words or equivalent at L1 and L2
2000 words or equivalent at L3, LH and LM

I don’t think there’s a rule for the hours, but I checked one module which is 20% of the total hours.

Dr Jessica Hancock
Lecturer in Academic Development
GCU London