From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Hilsdon
Sent: 13 February 2017 16:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: power relations in the HE classroom

Hi Alison and all

I used an idea of John Heron's (for training counsellors) to develop my 'triads' activity.  There is a version of it in the link below. As you will see, the context for this was a session on "academic integrity", but my take on that was to divert attention towards Wenger's notions of participation and community - within which, of course, power relations have a central role. I hope the slides are self-explanatory. My ambition for triads in teaching and learning more generally is to help structure more equitable relations by having symmetrical turn-taking, agreed rules for giving and receiving attention (and questioning) and moderated/shared notetaking.

I'd welcome feedback and/or ideas for similar approaches

All the best

John

Hilsdon, John (2013) Integrity and Identity, the academic and the student. Slideshare web-based resource available at: http://www.slideshare.net/jhilsdon/3-magic-leicester-jh-2013