Dear All

There is a great opportunity in the scheme outlined below for an ECR to gain a 3-year salaried fellowship plus start-up funds and work with us in Bristol. Modern Languages -- and specifically German -- would very much welcome applications.

The links to the relevant websites are near the bottom of the mail.

Candidates in German Studies should contact me in the first instance, and I'll pass inquiries on to staff with the most appropriate expertise and experience.

It would be great to welcome modern linguists to Bristol under this scheme!

Robert

The Vice-Chancellor's Fellowship scheme, an integral part of our Vision and Strategy for research, launches today. This scheme offers an exciting opportunity for fifteen Early Career Researchers to advance their research careers and develop their potential to become academic leaders.

The 2017 Fellowship intake will be offered in three priority areas:

Digital innovation and well-being

We welcome applications across all areas of digital innovation and well-being, but in particular cyber-security, communication technologies, smart/future cities and digital health. It will link closely with our up-coming Digital Innovation Hub, where data collected in real time (from transport networks to home-based medical sensors) will integrate into projects that enhance businesses, public services and the lives of local people. We would also be particularly interested in interdisciplinary applications translating methods and technology to real world applications and aligning to the Jean Golding Institute remit.

Engineering of biological systems
We welcome applications in all areas broadly addressing engineering of biological systems, to grow capacity in synthetic biology, understanding biological structure-function relationships, stem cells and development, cell and tissue repair, antimicrobial resistance and biomaterials engineering. Applications bridging these areas with the emerging area of biodesign in the University are particularly encouraged. This initiative links closely with our interdisciplinary BBSRC/EPSRC-funded Synthetic Biology Research Centre, and our interdisciplinary doctoral training programmes, including the EPSRC/BBSRC-funded Synthetic Biology Centre, Wellcome Trust funded PhD programmes in Dynamic Molecular Cell Biology and Neural Dynamics, and our BHF-funded PhD programme in Integrative Cardiovascular Science.

Environmental social sciences and humanities

We welcome applications that enhance capacity in all areas of environmental social sciences and humanities connected to the remit of the Cabot Institute. In particular, we encourage fellowship candidates whose research addresses questions of: governance, policy, regulation and the law; spatial modelling and geography of political economy; poverty, inequality, migration and mobility; philosophy, ethics, and generations; risk management, resource management and sustainable development; literature, culture and history.

For further information please visit: www.bristol.ac.uk/jobs/vc-fellowships, and direct any queries to [log in to unmask].

--
Professor Robert Vilain, MA DPhil (Oxon)
Professor of German and Comparative Literature

Warden, Wills Hall
The Warden's House, Wills Hall, Parry's Lane, Bristol BS9 1AE

Co-Director, Routes into Languages, South-West