Hi Lucy.
You may have issues with a diamond core drill if your samples are very friable. I had to prepare 5 mm diameter cores in Triassic sandstones containing shear bands for synchrotron x-ray tomographic imaging and it was a real pain. The material contrast between the relatively well cemented faults and host rock meant that they just broke along the edge of the fault when I tried to core them. In the end I used a little 25 mm diamond coated disc on a Dremmel - cutting off slightly oversized prism shaped blocks and then shaping them into cylinders by eye. This was fairly laborious with a high failure rate (maybe 1 in 7-8 were good) but did the trick in the end. If I had material to spare I would try the core drill first (you may be ok as we successfully prepped 15 mm cores in the same material with the core drill at a failure rate of around 1:5) . We never went as exotic as a water jet by the way.
Kind regards
Thomas