Hi everyone,

Brief preview of a session at this October’s GSA meeting in Seattle. I don’t think the abstract submission site is open yet, but you won’t want to miss this one, because it’ll be *Awesome*!

"T163. Petrochronology: Advances and Applications to Petrogenesis and Tectonics”
This session welcomes advances in understanding petrogenesis, orogenesis, and/or crustal growth made using combined petrologic and geochronologic analysis of accessory and major minerals. Contributions could include analytical methods and studies ranging from (sub)grains to orogens.

Invited speakers are Ethan Baxter, Frank Spear, and Chris Yakymchuk.

If you’re particularly interested in zircons (petrochronology or whatever), there’s also a session in honor of Dustin Trail, who will be this year’s recipient of the MSA award (to young investigators).

“T159. Teasing new information out of (old) zircon: In Honor of Dustin Trail, 2017 MSA Recipient"
This session explores zircon-based advances in understanding of Earth history and Earth processes.  Novel approaches involving a wide range of techniques – elemental and isotopic geochemistry, geochronology, textural and crystallographic studies, and others – will be emphasized.

I’m still working out the details of a workshop on Petrochronology before the GSA meeting. Will keep you posted on that.

Last I wanted to mention (again) the RiMG volume on petrochronology, which will be coming out in a couple months. I would particularly like to thank members of the Geo-Metamorphism list because, to quote from our Introduction: Several parts of this introduction are taken from a discussion that took place in the forum Geo-Metamorphism in June, 2013, after John Cottle's announcement about a Petrochronology session at GSA. It was really that post-announcement discussion that gave rise to the volume, which I hope will serve to guide much future research in this field.

Thank you,

Matt