Dear Colleagues,

we would like to draw your attention to our session 06m

“Melting during (U)HT, (U)HP crustal metamorphism”

at the Goldschmidt 2017 (Paris, August 13-18).

Contributions using a variety of approaches (including, but not limited to, geochemistry, metamorphic and structural analysis, geochronology, field observations, phase equilibria calculations, experimental petrology, numerical modeling) to investigate melting of crustal rocks during (U)HT, (U)HP metamorphism are welcome.

We are also pleased to announce that our keynote speaker will be Jörg Hermann (Universität Bern)

Abstract submissions close on April 1st, 2017.

Website: https://goldschmidt.info/2017/

Best regards,

Omar Bartoli & Loïc Labrousse (conveners)

06m - MELTING DURING (U)HT, (U)HP CRUSTAL METAMORPHISM

Partial melting of crustal rocks is a common geological phenomenon in our tectonically active planet. HT metamorphism and crustal melting, accompanied by melt extraction and magma migration to upper levels, constitute a fundamental process for the chemical differentiation of Earth’s crust and formation of granitoid plutons. The extensive melting and melt loss predicted to occur during HT-UHT metamorphism have direct impact on the rheology of the orogenic infrastructures and redistribution of high heat-producing elements. On the other hand, partial melting of deeply subducted crust is a key process for mass transfer and element recycling through subduction zones. Because partial melting allows rocks to weaken rapidly and effectively, it has also been proposed as an active mechanism in the exhumation of UHP crustal slices at mantle depths. While more and more publications directly or indirectly evidence the presence of melts at these extreme metamorphic conditions, we invite contributions using a variety of approaches to investigate melting of crustal rocks during (U)HT, (U)HP metamorphism, including, but not limited to, geochemistry, metamorphic and structural analysis, geochronology, field observations, phase equilibria calculations and numerical modeling. In particular, we encourage contributions that apply novel and innovative approaches or integrate diverse datasets with crustal scale models.

Omar Bartoli
Dipartimento di Geoscienze, Università di Padova
Via Gradenigo 6, 35131, Padova (Italy)
Homepage: http://omarbartoli.altervista.org/