Hi Isik,

Please see below:

On 16 February 2017 at 14:00, user user980 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi again,

Thank you for the design. I have one more question. when I test the age effect in one condition only, will only the age regressor (EV 17-18) in last design change such that  I fit the slope only for that condition?

To have the age effect in just one condition, as opposed to the average of the three conditions, you'd have to change the last design to "knock out" the other two conditions; this could be done by changing the subject specific EVs: for each subject, where currently there is a matrix block as:

-1 -1
1 0
0 1

You'd replace for:

0 0
1 0
0 1

or

1 0
0 0
0 1

or

1 0
0 1
0 0

depending whether you want, respectively, condition A, B or C. Perhaps it'd be simpler, though, to just ignore the other 2 conditions and run a design like this one, from the manual: https://fsl.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/fsl/fslwiki/GLM#Two_Groups_with_continuous_covariate_interaction
This is something similar to what you propose below.

And actually what if I feed each condition as different modalities in Palm and compute the age effect per condition, how do these two models differ? I am assuming the full model is a bit more relaxed since it allows permutations within condition...

For the between-subject comparisons, it can be done separately for the 3 conditions, as each were a different modality, and correcting across with -corrmod. The between-subjects design shown in the spreadsheet is for the average of the 3 conditions, so the answer will be different.
If you take the "knock out" approach above, and correct for the contrasts of the (then) 3 different designs using -corrcon, the result should be the same as doing as separate modalities and using -corrmod.

All the best,

Anderson

thanks
isik