Von: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Anderson M. Winkler
Gesendet: Freitag, 3. Februar 2017 08:16
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [FSL] AW: [FSL] Linear or quadratic effects with permutations testing?

Hi Yacila,

Please see below:

On 2 February 2017 at 12:27, Yacila Isabela Deza Araujo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks a lot for your reply Anderson.

I have another question regarding the use of covariates in within and between subjects designs in PALM:

As far as I understood, age and gender  do not need to be considered as covariates because they do not change between the measures, but what about intervention order?

Can I create a variable with intervention order to see whether it has effects in my designs, even when they are not significant between groups?

Can you give details? By order do you mean the order in which placebo, agonist and antagonist were applied? Or is it something related to the groups?

And motion measures such as FD? I am working with resting state data and I cleanes a lot before. There are not differences in FD between groups. Should I still include the mean FD per subject and intervention?

You need to decide whether when looking into differences between conditions, it's the difference between FD that is a nuisance, or the average between FD that is the nuisance. In the former case, enter the FD values "as is". In the latter, enter with the first value with the sign reversed for each subject (as in the example file above).

For the between-subject effects, it goes same way, except that the logic reverses: reverse the sign for the difference, or keep as is for the average.

My last question is about the place where these nuisance variables should be: Should I include them in the within or between subjects design? If I include them in both, my design will be rank deficient, right?

These designs operate separately, and FD can go in both.

All the best,

Anderson

I am looking forward to your useful comments

Thanks a LOT!

Yacila