Hi again Robert,

Just so you know, on the Venetian blinds, we have tried excluding the first volume of the reference images from the field map estimate, but found that this is not the source of the artifact that we brought to your attention initially.

sorry, I didn’t suggest it was. There are other reasons for not wanting to use the volumes with the venetian blinds. Inside topup there is a rigid body-movement model, in addition to the model for an off-resonance field. This is important in case the subject has moved a little between the two acquisitions with different PE-directions. Otherwise the movement induced difference would be interpreted as off-resonance distortions, and the estimated field would be wrong.

If the input contains venetian blind artefacts, that will make it harder to correctly detect any “out of plane” movement. Imagine if you want to register two zebras. Chances are you will align them along their stripes, rather than along the contour as you had intended.

Jesper

We will take your advice about the echo spacing parameter. Thanks.

Let me know if you need any additional data to try to debug this.

Thanks,

Bob