Hi All,

I'm helping a student with a piece of work and he described systematic
reviews as being reliable.  I'm troubled by this on a number of fronts:

   - Is there any evidence that they are reliable?
   - If they are reliable, in relation to what?  A reliable car might not
   break down very often, so that outcome is clear.  But I'm not sure what it
   means in relation to SRs
   - If SRs aren't properly described as 'reliable' what are they best
   described as?

An underpinning assumption of SRs appears to be that if you identify all
the published trials that bestows upon the SR a special status.  This
appears to be faith-based, not evidence-based.

Any help out there?

Best wishes

jon

--