Now I'd like to read that!!

Very funny Mike :)

On 8 February 2017 at 18:29, Mike Davenport <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This doesn't help Clare but I've just read Bill Bryson's 'The road to Little Dribbling', a follow-up to 'Notes from a small island' and in the prologue he writes about taking the Life in the UK test, which he had to do to get British citizenship. Not sure if the Study Guide he mentions is Celine's, but his writing about having to know things most Brits don't know is quite funny!

Mike Davenport

Sent from my iPad

On 8 Feb 2017, at 10:47, celine castelino <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Sorry - I didn't click reply all but thought the information might be helpful for other people supporting ESOL learners planning to apply for citizenship.

Best

Celine

From: celine castelino <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 07 February 2017 22:54
To: Clare Jackson
Subject: Re: Life in the UK test materials

Hi Clare

You could get the Study Guide I wrote for NIACE (now Learning & Work Institute) - it has all the Home Office's study materials but is broken down into smaller chunks with learning checks at the end of each section, further questions at the end of each chapter, study tips, test technicques and an enhanced glossary - more definitions many of which are simplified, and four sample tests with all the question types used in the test. I was involved in moderating the test questions for the first version so was very familiar with the technical requirements. The question writers for the TSO study guide can be a bit random!

The NIACE/L&W publication was written with the needs of ESOL learners in mind - hence the enhanced glossary. The study materials text though has had to remain identical to the original as the test questions are written using the same language. It is better value / cheaper than buying the TSO Handbook and their study guide. You can get it from most bookshops or Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1862017026/ref=acr_offerlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I hope this helps.

Best

Celine