I thought I had worked out the language requirements for the CAS and Tier 4 Visa (university undergraduate courses) last year, but admit to being confused by IELTS UK VI this year.

My students are Sixth Formers studying in the UK at the moment and about to enter for IELTS, but we are not sure whether to recommend the Academic or UK VI Academic exam. Our nearest SELT centre for IELTS UK VI is four hours away..

Last year my understanding was that UKVI (or other SELT tests) were required only for university short courses and Foundation Year courses. However, this year some of my students have been asked for UKVI for three year courses (e.g. University of Bradford) - though most have not.

My query is this : what do students need to prove their language ability both to the university AND to the Home Office i.e. do they need to take IELTS VI (or other SELT test) for Visa purposes? Is a SELT test needed for Visa purposes on top of the stated university requirement?

I find the Home office advice unclear and would welcome any advice or input from any of you who may know more about the situation this year. Students are from Oman, Ukraine, India, Egypt, China etc.

Gordonstoun Schools Limited, Elgin, Moray, Scotland, IV30 5RF
Scottish Charity Number SC037867. Company Registered in England No 288105. Registered Office c/o Veale Wasbrough Vizards, Solicitors, Barnards Inn, 86 Fetter Lane, London EC4A 1AD

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to