From: Philida Schellekens [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 22 February 2017 21:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IATEFL ES(O)L SIG conference: International Approaches to ES(O)L
Teaching

Dear all
Two announcements to make in this email:
1.      Conference:  International Approaches to ES(O)L Teaching
We are pleased to announce that the ES(O)L SIG pre-conference event will
take place on 3 April in Glasgow.  Our focus this year is on ES(O)L policy
and practice across different countries.  Governments often have a major say
in the teaching of English to migrants and refugees. Priorities, funding and
methodologies come and go. We will focus on how well these initiatives
promote the effectiveness of teaching and learning, how we can make them
work and how best to adapt resources and approaches across different nations
and cultures. We have a great line-up of speakers:
Martha Young-Scholten & Rola Naeb	Professional Development for LESLLA
Teachers at the International Level
Caroline Bligh tbc	EAL
Mandy Watts	The Scottish dimension of ESOL teaching
George Gillen	 tbc
Lesly Painter- Farrell	The implications of Trump’s election for teaching
and learning ESL in America
Pauline Blake-Johnston 	The use and adaptation of resources across different
countries and cultures
We will get in touch with more information later but just to whet your
appetite: next month we are running an e-discussion group on materials, what
has worked and what not, for example if you have adapted or tried to adapt
materials from another country and how that went.  Pauline has offered to
draw the discussion and examples of materials together and present on this
in Glasgow!
 2.      ES(O)L SIG scholarships and travel grants
Of course all are very welcome at the ES(O)L conference in April and you can
register here for the event:  http://conference.iatefl.org/sig_pce_esol.html
 Our good news is that our SIG celebrates its 15th birthday in 2017 and to
celebrate this milestone we are offering 10 ES(O)L SIG members free access
and a £100 travel grant.
In order to be eligible, you need to be an ES(O)L SIG member and be willing
to write up one of the talks on the day and/ or submit an article for
consideration to our newsletter. If you are a NATECLA member, you may be
interested to know that IATEFL and NATECLA have a reciprocal membership
scheme which brings down the cost considerably.  If you register as an
IATEFL member in time, you qualify for the free access and up to £100 travel
grant.
If you would like to apply for one of the travel grants, please send an
email to [log in to unmask] explaining why you would like to attend our PCE.
Please note that receipts for travel will be needed.  The closing date for
applications is Fri 3 March and we will let the winners know shortly after.
We look forward to seeing you in Glasgow!
Regards - Philida
On behalf of ES(O)L SIG Committee
Philida Schellekens PhD
3 Greenwich South Street
London SE10 8NW
07903-828-369
0208-305-2365

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
To contact the list owner, send an email to