*Conference of Irish Geographers, University College Cork *
<http://www.conferenceofirishgeographers.ie>

Thursday 4 May - Saturday 6 May 2017

*Panel Session CFP:*

*‘**Art and Geography: Disruptive Practices and Alternative Engagements’*

*Organisers: *Karen Till, Maynooth Geography, Nessa Cronin, Centre for
Irish Studies, NUI Galway, Tim Collins, Centre for Landscape Studies, NUIG,
and Gerry Kearns, Maynooth Geography

*15 March 2017: Preliminary submission of interest to panel organisers*

*20 March 2017: Final deadline for completed conference abstract/proposal*

Drawing upon the main themes of the CIG 2017, this CFP calls for creative
explorations of the possibilities and forms of spatial disruptions, whether
that be through existing practices, new arrangements, or alternative modes
of engagement and encounter.  Through their practice, research and work,
artists and geographers have created and/or followed ‘disruptive pathways’
to navigate and challenge taken-for-granted orderings, alignments,
institutions and networks. These creative engagements may result in new
knowledges, shared environments and communities, and spatial imaginings of
possible pasts, presents and futures.

Papers, posters and creative presentations are invited to explore these
knowledge-forming practices, while also possibly addressing some of the
issues as listed below:

·      What are the geographies of disruptive practices? How might these be
‘mapped’?

·      Where and why might alternative engagements blur (disciplinary)
boundaries?

·      What are the outcomes and possibilities of fuzzy edges?

·      Through what media/iums might (b)orders be transgressed, become
porous or mobile?

·      How can a critique of the creative arts as social or cultural
‘capital’ create other vocabularies or disruptive strategies to counter the
‘arts-as-economic-driver’ narrative of the neoliberal state?

·      Where, when and through what forms do the intersections of
space-times move, collapse, pause, re-engage?

·      What can we learn from the ebbs and flows of environments and
ecologies to create more democratic geographical worlds?

·      What are the current geographies and boundaries of art institutions
and arts policy? What alternative engagements might reframe the ‘value’ of
the arts?

These questions are not prescriptive and we are interested in proposals
that are practice-based, connect scholarly and activist work, and/or
include explorations/works in progress. We welcome contributions from
postgraduate students and early career researchers, as well as non-academic
guests. To that end, the CIG Cork Conference organisers have generously
provided *three artists/practitioner bursaries* to cover basic conference
expenses for non-institutionally based participants. The expected format is
15 minutes with 5 minutes for Q&A but we are open to alternative proposals.

*Submissions*: Please email either Karen Till ([log in to unmask]) or Nessa
Cronin ([log in to unmask]) with a 250 word abstract by 15 March.
Please indicate if you are applying for an artist bursary.

The organisers will let you know if your proposed paper is accepted. You
will then need to register through the CIG paper abstract form and select
‘Art and Geography’ as the themed session. The form can be found here:
http://www.conferenceofirishgeographers.ie/abstract-submission-form-c1r5x

*Please note:* You cannot submit an abstract to the website until you have
registered for the conference which we urge you to do as soon as possible.

--
Gerry Kearns,
Professor of Human Geography,

IRC funded Research Projects:
The Geographical Turn https://geographicalturn.wordpress.com
The relevance of the 1916 Proclamation of the Irish Republic for Irish
Civil Society in the 21st Century  http://www.1916proclamation.net

Recent Publication: Spatial Justice and the Irish Crisis (eds with David
Meredith and John Morrissey, RIA, €20)
http://www.ria.ie/Publications/Books/Spatial-Justice-and-the-Irish-Crisis