Dear colleagues,

Many thanks to those who have already submitted abstracts for the Leisure Studies Association conference. During the first call we received 93 abstracts from 54 institutions, spanning 17 countries. Topics were incredibly eclectic, covering gardening, parks and urban spaces, surfing, literary festivals, classic car restoration, mourning … the list goes on. Due to requests from a number of colleagues, we are now extending the call until February 28.

Please continue to publicise the event through your networks, on social media etc.

Best wishes,

Tom

Leisure Studies Association Conference, 4-6 July 2017 – 2nd Call for papers

Leeds Beckett University, UK

The leisure studies tradition emphasises the role played by leisure as part of people’s everyday lives. It is a different approach in which a concern for others demands a critical analysis of socio-political processes.  It requires a measure of reflexivity and an intersectional appreciation of the situatedness of what we study. This conference looks to speak to others who are interested in examining the social role of processes that commonly go unnoticed/unremarked because they are taken for the everyday.  These are subject areas to which everyone can lay a claim to some measure of expertise.

The aims of this conference are:

To explore the ways in which leisure has been and is enacted around us; and

To explore ways in which leisure, and leisure studies, can be and are being re-created now

Confirmed keynotes

Sarah Neal, Professor of Sociology, University of Sheffield http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/socstudies/staff/staff-profiles/sarah-neal

Kevin Hannam, Professor of Tourism Mobilities, Edinburgh Napier University http://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/our-schools/the-business-school/our-staff/staff-profiles/professor-kevin-hannam

Simone Fullagar, Professor of Physical Cultural Studies, University of Bath http://www.bath.ac.uk/health/staff/simone-fullagar/

Kehinde Andrews, Associate Professor of Sociology, Birmingham City University http://www.bcu.ac.uk/social-sciences/about-us/staff/kehinde-andrews

Streams/panels

We invite contributions which address the conference themes from a range of subject fields including, but not limited to; leisure studies, sport studies, physical education, sociology, events, tourism, hospitality, media and communication, geography, cultural studies, the arts, gender studies, ethnic and racial studies, and social anthropology.

Enacting Leisure: Identities, Lifestyles, and Play

Within this stream we invite a range of papers that critically consider leisure in the enactment of individual and cultural identities and lifestyles.

Spaces of Leisure

Within this stream we invite papers that address the ways in which space becomes a site of constant negotiation, where agents make their lives meaningful through everyday leisure practice and the social structures that endeavour to constrain such meaning making.

Leisure and social justice

Within this stream we invite papers which examine leisure as offering sites of resistance as well as oppression. We are especially interested in hearing about research that can play a contributory role in facilitating social justice through critical analysis of social and political processes of leisure.

Leisure mobilities

Within this stream we invite papers that explore leisure from a range of disciplinary and inter-

disciplinary perspectives that, as well as areas more familiar to those working within leisure studies, might encompass such fields as critical geography, social movement research and the study of language and interaction in motion.

Open stream

In addition to the four central streams, we invite submissions in other area of leisure research.

Post-graduate roundtable/workshop

Post-graduate students are encouraged to apply to any stream. There will also be opportunities to participate in additional career and research development activities led by prominent academics.

Abstract Submissions

Abstracts can take one of two forms:

Individual: single abstracts from individuals/co-researchers submitting a paper that addresses the conference theme or themes

Proposed panel: a set of abstracts (three minimum) from a group of individuals/co-researchers submitting a coherent set of papers that address the conference themes and which could be scheduled together in one parallel session

Submissions

Abstracts should be 250-350 words, structured as follows:

Full title of paper as it will appear in the conference programme

Abstract main body, including background (outline of the context and/or academic literature informing the research), approach (indication of the broad theoretical orientation and/or methodological approach) and significance (description and application of the original research findings reported in the paper)

Conference theme the paper is aimed at

In addition please include a 150 word (max) biography.

Submit all abstracts to [log in to unmask]

Key dates

Abstract submission: 28 February 2017

Notification of decision: 17 March 2017

Early bird registration deadline: 5 May 2017

Registration deadline: 5 June 2017

Conference: 4-6 July 2017

For details on conference fees, accommodation and practical information visit www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/lsa2017

http://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/assets/emails/beckett-signatures/img/badge-tag.jpg

Dr Thomas Fletcher
Senior Lecturer

Carnegie Faculty

International Centre for Research in Events, Tourism & Hospitality (ICRETH)

Centre for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)

School of Events, Tourism & Hospitality, Leeds Beckett University, Room 119, Macaulay Hall, Headingley Campus, Leeds, LS6 3QN, UK

[log in to unmask] | +44(0)113 812 3515

Academia.edu profile: https://leedsbeckett.academia.edu/ThomasFletcher

Research Gate profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Fletcher5

Editorial Board member Leisure Studies, Sociological Research Online, Sport in Society, Soccer & Society, Palgrave Communications

Secretary to the Leisure Studies Association

New book: Cricket, migration and diasporic communities http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9781138892736/

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to:-
http://disclaimer.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/disclaimer/disclaimer.html