The British Society of Criminology Learning & Teaching Network Are Hosting a One-Day Conference:

Criminology at the Cutting Edge of the Curriculum

A Call For Papers

Criminology due to unprecedented changes in the social, economic and political landscapes is experiencing new avenues of exploration in a range of new frontiers from: border control, positive criminology, new forms of cyber crime, green criminology, state crimes, celebrity and crime, public criminology etc.  We are keen to hear how such areas and many others are affecting the pedagogical practices, the learning and teaching methods, strategies, structures and assessments in order to deliver a curriculum that is relevant and impactful to students.

The aim of the conference is to provide a space to explore new and innovative ways of delivering an ever-complex curriculum.  We recognise that there is no one size fits all approach.  We therefore welcome papers that are still at the ideas stage, as well as those sharing experiences of their attempts to be innovative which have not worked as well as you had hoped but have now gained some insight and reflections on your experiences; and we welcome papers from those of you who have had successful ‘experiments’ in

We welcome your abstracts on the following themes:

  • Adopting an outward-facing ethos as part of the curriculum which encourages students to work with communities beyond the University Creating students as ethical and moral global citizens
  • Dealing with sensitive topics/issues in the curriculum
  • Using technology in the curriculum
  • Students as co-producers in the cutting edge curriculum
  • Engaging students with social justice
  • New forms of assessment
  • Incorporating employability into the cutting edge curriculum
  • The impact of the TEF and REF on criminological pedagogies
  • Please feel free to suggest a new theme

Timeline
  • Call for abstracts opens – 14th  February 2017
  • Call for abstracts closes -  1st June 2017
  • Conference registration opens – 14th February 2017
  • Notification to authors (no later than 1 month from receipt of abstract)
    Abstract submissions
    Please email your 300 word abstract submission as a word document to [log in to unmask] In addition please state the full names of all authors, the title of the paper, which theme the abstract is being submitted for consideration, and also which institution/organisation you are from.

    Book your place:

    Free tickets can be booked at:

    Venue: One Friar Gate Square at the University of Derby

One Friar Gate Square is the new home of Department of Social Sciences. A modern and iconic building in the heart of Derby’s vibrant city centre, it creates the perfect environment for innovative and engaging teaching.

Inline image

We share One Friar Gate Square with Derby law School, as well as the International Policing and Justice Institute. This dedicated site offers unique opportunities for sharing knowledge, expertise and experience in all aspects of the criminological, legal and justice fields.

Address:
Department of Social Sciences
College of Business, Law & Social Sciences
One Friar Gate Square
University of Derby
Derby
DE1 1DZ