Afterlives

Cabinets of Consequence: Octagon Salon #3

2 March 6.30-8pm

This salon to accompany the current Octagon exhibition Cabinets of Consequence (https://cabinetsofconsequence.org)  will explore how heritage and other related forms of conservation practices (including nuclear waste management) make futures.  How do we use material culture to stitch futures from pasts? What do we conserve? What do we get rid of? What do we allow to change? This Salon will be staged as a series of conversations across various themes currently being explored within the Heritage Futures research programme, a large, collaborative international research project led by Professor Rodney Harrison at the UCL Institute  of Archaeology.

The salon will host three sets of thematic conversations which highlight tensions that  relate both to the exhibition theme and to the various themes explored as part of the Heritage Futures research programme: Stasis – Transformation; Heritage – Waste; and Diversity – Clutter.

Event held at Haldane Room, Wilkins Building , Gower Street WC1

Free but booking essential

Book now at http://bit.ly/2k2n27q

Email: [log in to unmask]

Download a Flyer for the event here https://heritage-futures.org/app/uploads/2017/02/Octagon-March-2017-flyerSmall.pdf

Participants in the salon will include:

Nadia Bartolini, Research Associate, Environment and Sustainability Institute, University of Exeter

Caitlin DeSilvey,  Associate Professor of Cultural Geography, University of Exeter

Rodney Harrison, Professor of Heritage Studies, UCL and Director of the UCL Heritage Futures Laboratory

Cornelius Holtorf, Professor of Archaeology, Linnaeus University

Kyle Lee-Crossett, PhD Candidate, UCL Institute of Archaeology

Antony Lyons, independent artist-researcher and senior Creative Fellow on the Heritage Futures research programme

Sarah May, Research Associate, UCL Institute of Archaeology

Jennie Morgan, Research Associate, Department of Sociology, University of York

Sefryn Penrose, Research Associate, UCL Institute of Archaeology

Further information on the Heritage Futures research programme is available at ‪www.heritage-futures.org

-------------------------- contemp-hist-arch is a list for news and events in contemporary and historical archaeology, and for announcements relating to the CHAT conference group. ------- For email subscription options see: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/archives/contemp-hist-arch.html ------- Visit the CHAT website for more information and for future meeting dates: http://www.contemp-hist-arch.ac.uk --------------------------