Dear CHAT-community

Please allow me to invite you to join and send in session papers for our
EAA-session 'Who Owns the Battlefield?', in  the Trans- and Metadisciplinary
Approaches in Archaeology - theme.

This years' EAA is held at Maastricht (the Netherlands) from August 30 to
September 2 -  2017. http://www.eaa2017maastricht.nl/en

Abstract
Battlefields are multilayered and meaningful places. On these battlefields
they are likely to meet a wide range of people, not in the least relatives
of soldiers who fought or died there. Relatives consider these fields to be
a place of memory and mourning. Battlefields are also considered potentially
dangerous because of the possible presence of unexploded ordnance.The
process of professional clearing the battlefield from these war relics can
be in conflict with the cultural value of battlefield for stakeholder
groups, be a form of social injustice, or simply damage the research
potential of the battlefield. Moreover, battle fields are also visited by
tourists who want to visit, see and feel the places where it all happened,
or metaldetectorists hunting for war relics.

What is role of the archaeologists in this field of possibly conflicting
meanings? How are archaeologists to reckon with the highly emotional meaning
of these places, including his/her own? Can personal experience be a reason
for archaeological research, or on the contrary: a reason to refrain from
research?

The aim of the session is to explore the dilemmas towards in researching
battlefields and conflict sites. Ultimate goal is to formulate a set of
'rules of engagement' for archaeological research on battlefields. We focus
on modern warfare and conflict (WWI, WWII, post-WWII). We want to have an
extended, in-depth discussion on the theme in a discussion-session
(PechaKucha); we want to avoid a discussion on policy or legal issues. We
invite colleagues to share their own experiences and dilemmas.

Organizers:
Ruurd Kok (Netherlands)
Maarten Bracke (Belgium)
Oula Seitsonen (Finland)