Dear all,
Would you like to help us rescue our national mental health service?

At Tuesday 28 March, we are organising the event ‘Rescue our national mental health service’ in London. Its aim is to raise public awareness about threats and possible solutions to the British national mental health service. This event is part of the international Punk4MentalHealth Festival from 27 March - 1 April  in London, and is supported by many mental health care groups. When we planned this event, we could not imagine that it would become so relevant: Theresa May's adviser has just told that benefits will be scrapped for people with mental health issues, and that money for mental health care may be reduced! We need to join forces!!

We want 28 March to be a bottom-up event, where different groups can participate and the audience gets involved. See Punk4MentalHealth on Facebook. Therefore, we will have one organising meeting in the week of 27 February or 6 March; after this, tasks are agreed and contact will be via email. Would you like to support this event? We would like to get some more supporting groups, organisers and speakers involved. We would also need a wheel-chair accessible location in central London: active help to find this asap very welcome! If you want to be involved, please fill in your availability via the Doodle poll link below at its latest 30 Feb, or email [log in to unmask] https://doodle.com/poll/6mz3gvi29muc3yg7

If you cannot help to organise you may be interested in other events of the Punk4MentalHealth Festival in London (see Fb):
Mon 27 March: Punks in Business: Blaire Palmer and Kathy DiTonno on punk leadership and independent business;
Tues 28 March: Rescue our national mental health service
Wed 29 March: Night of Indie and Punk bands in Dublin Castle, Camden
Thurs 30 March: Mental health under capitalism: discussion and social support group
Fri 31 March: Better Days Workshop about recovery by USA Punk Counsellor Craig Lewis
Sat 1 April: Day of bands, art and talks about mental health

Best wishes
Joel Vos

Associate Professor in Counselling Psychology
Deputy Director Centre for Research in Social and psychological Transformation (CREST)
Organiser of Punk4MentalHealth
phone 07783452423

The following groups have told to support this event:
-Punk4MentalHealth (P4MH);
-Centre for Research in Social and psychological Transformation (CREST) at the University of Roehampton;
-Mental Health Under Capitalism;
-Disabled People Against Cuts;
-Local branches of Mind;
-Psychologists Against Austerity.
-Any other groups and individuals wanting to support are welcome!

Preliminary program:
PART I. Threats
7.00-7.05 Dr Joel Vos (CREST, P4MH): Opening & Safe Space Policy
7.05-7.20 Speed debating
The audience debates in groups of three the questions 'why are you here' and 'what do you think are the main threats for the national mental health service’
7.20-7.30 Overview of threats & a punk solution: Dr Joel Vos (CREST, P4MH)
7.30-7.35 Threats to service users: Kathy DiTonno (P4MH) on the story of her sister Linda
7.35-7.50 Threats to service users: a service user advocate (TBD)
7.50-8.10 Financial threats: Dr Youssef El-Ghinihy, MD
8.10-8.25 Threats by austerity politics (TBD)
8.25-8.45 Threats by internal NHS politics (TBD)

Part II. Solutions
8.45-9.00 Speed debating
The audience debates in groups of three the question ‘How could we rescue our national mental health service?’
9.00-9.15 Plenary feedback from speed debating
9.15-9.25 Call-out about events by mental health care advocacy groups, and how people could get involved
9.25-9.30 Closure: Dr Joel Vos
9.30-11.00 Drinks in The Retrobar, off the Strand in Central London

What we need
-Location for 50-100 people, in Central London and wheelchair accessible (we have locations, but these  are either not in central London or which are not accessible for wheelchair users)
-Speakers (see slots in program)
-Co-organisers of the event
-Marketeers: posters, flyers, Facebook, Twitter, contacting other groups, etc.

This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this email or its attachments.

Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free. University of Roehampton does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses.

Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of University of Roehampton is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by University of Roehampton.

University of Roehampton is the trading name of Roehampton University, a company limited by guarantee incorporated in England under number 5161359. Registered Office: Grove House, Roehampton Lane, London SW15 5PJ. An exempt charity.