To follow up on this issue:

It seems that only when not downscaling or lowpass filtering the input files, does the manual picking work as it should. So we think there may be a problem performign scaling/lowpass filtering on the input micrographs. Interestingly, scaling worked fine with the betagal test set images. Could this be a fftw problem?

Thanks in advance!