Hi:

I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know of a problem we had with
Relion and our solution.

I was testing 2D and 3D class averaging with both GPU and CPU (always with
MPI) on a personal data set and the betagal data set and was getting the
same error after iteration ~3 on class2d and after iteration ~10 on
class3d.

Basically, during the maximization step, the program would fail and mpiexec
would tell me that one of the jobs had failed and so it shut everything
down (an example command, error, and log file are attached). After testing
numerous configurations of number of tasks per node, number of nodes, GPU
vs. no GPU (we are using NVIDIA GTX-1080s), we tried re-building Relion 2.

Essentially what we had to do was:

git clone https://github.com/3dem/relion.git

cd relion-2.0
mkdir build
cd build

#we have GEFORCE GTX-1080 which NOT DOUBLE PRECISION GPU

cmake -DFORCE_OWN_FFTW=ON  -DFORCE_OWN_FLTK=ON  -DCUDA_ARCH=61   ..

make -j 16

This installed the external FFTW and FLTK libraries (3.3.4 and 1.3.3,
respectively). After everything was sourced correctly, etc. relion starting
working beautifully. Our versions of fftw and fltk were 3.4.4 and so.1.3,
respectively (these did not work).

I hope this helps someone in the future.