For illustrations of the surface of a rice husk showing multiple lines - see

Yen DE  1982  Ban Chiang pottery and rice: A discussion of the inclusions in the pottery matrix

Expedition (U of Pennsylvania) 24(4) 51-64  fig 5 - husk, articulated phytoliths (not impressions)

Doreen Bowdery,

Sent: Thursday, 9 February 2017 7:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: help with this seed

Hi All,

Looking at this, my initial guess would be flax because of the characteristics that Jerome and Mark point out. It looks a little too papery and thin to be rice, but looks more similar to the flax I have seen. Rice grains tend to retain their shape quite well when charred or they puff out a little, but I  have not yet seen rice with a hollow interior when it is charred in the sites I've looked at in China.

I couldn't tell from the photograph but rice generally also has impressions on the surface from the husk that normally form three lines down the middle. I couldn't see that on the photograph but can't tell if there is something covering the surface or not.

I'm attaching a picture of a few different rice caryoposes from different sites in SW China here, so you can get an idea of size and variability.

All the best,

Jade