***

Call for Papers: AAA Annual Meeting, 29 November – 3 December 2017, Washington DC

Panel:

Anthropology of Silence: Affect, Embodiment and Articulation

Dr Ana Dragojlovic, University of Melbourne and Dr Annemarie Samuels, Leiden University

There is a growing recognition of the importance of attending to silences as active presences in social life. Contributing to anthropological approaches that move beyond seeing silences as suspicious, this panel explores silences as presences that may take narrative forms and that may imply agency rather than disempowerment. The aim of the panel is to study the relation between silence and verbal articulation at the intersection of anthropologies of affect, embodiment, memory and politics. We invite contributions that combine ethnography and theory and reflect on some of the following questions: How does silence relate to speech or other forms of articulation? What are the effects of silences on individual and social bodies? How may silences be sensed and experienced viscerally? May silence be a form of mediation/re-mediation? Can we talk about silence as a form of hauntology? What are the affective forces of silence across time and places? How are memories articulated in other ways than through language? When and how may silences imply agency? What different ways of listening may we need in order to ‘hear’ silences? By starting to address these questions together, we hope to contribute to a better understanding of the presences and effects of silence and reflect on the possibilities of attending to silences in our research.

If you are interested, please send your abstract (max. 250 words) to Ana Dragojlovic ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) and Annemarie Samuels ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) by March 24.

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*