Dear Lucas,

Yes, you can use ImCalc for this. Just make sure to change the data type
of the output image to float32.
Not sure I understand your alternative. You can implement ImCalc with a
GLM - create a design matrix being the identity matrix with the input
images being subj1-pre subj1-post subj2-pre subj2-post ... and use
contrasts [1 -1 0 ...], [0 0 1 -1 0 ...] to create the summary
statistics images (identical to ImCalc above) entering the two-sample
t-test.

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--