Dear all: here is the Call for Papers for the Sixteenth Century Society’s Conference in the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Milwaukee, October 26-29. Please circulate this as widely as you can; and if you have really good graduate students interrested in the Sidneys and the Reformation, or just the Sidneys, suggest to them that they might send in a proposal.
Many thanks,
Roger Kuin

THE INTERNATIONAL SIDNEY SOCIETY invites proposals for three sessions at the Sixteenth Century Society Conference in Milwaukee in October of this year. The first session relates to the 500th anniversary of Luther’s reformation theses, the second and third can accommodate those with other Sidneian interests now at the paper stage. Those interested should send a title and an abstract of not more than 200 words by March 12 to [log in to unmask].

1.     Sidney(s) and the Reformation. For this session we invite papers on any aspect of any or all of the literary and political Sidneys in their relation to the process we call the Reformation—bearing in mind that it was very much a process, that it involved both Catholics and Protestants of many sorts (Lutherans, Calvinists, Philippists, etc.), that it was both religious and political, and that it was relevant to many countries that Sir Henry, Philip and their relatives had dealings with and/or visited.  NB: For this session we will have an invited Keynote speaker: Professor Hannibal Hamlin of Ohio State University will lead the session with a 30-minute paper. All other proposals should be for 20-minute papers.

2.     Open session 1. For this session we invite papers on any aspect of the life and work of the literary Sidneys; however, in view of the Reformation commemoration, preference will be given to any proposals involving Reformation topics, especially the Sidney Psalms.

3.     Open session 2.  Depending on the initial response and the possibilities the conference will offer us, we may propose a third session on any aspect of the literary Sidneys and their work.