Subject Librarian Science
Vakreferent Wiskunde & Natuurwetenschappen
Universitaire Bibliotheken Leiden
Gorlaeus Laboratoria, Einsteinweg 55, 2333 CC Leiden
T: 071-527 43 65 / 06-383 137 00
https://nl.linkedin.com/in/dejongrutger

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gareth Knight
Sent: vrijdag 20 januari 2017 12:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: depositing data in multiple archives

Hi Dan,
I've not heard of the ESRC looking unfavourably on deposit into multiple repositories. There are some disadvantages to this approach though. If each repository gives you a distinct DOI, the author will have to track multiple citations to measure their resource's impact. There's also a risk that the different copies will become out of sync, e.g. when a repository migrates their files to another format or makes other enhancements.

I tend to encourage creators to deposit to a single repository, and create a metadata-only record in other systems that links to this resource.

Regards,
Gareth

--
Gareth Knight