From: Research Data Management discussion list <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert Darby <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, 9 January 2017 at 10:48
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: CC0 licensing for institutional data

Hello all

I was wondering if any institutional data repositories are using or considering use of CC0 as the recommended/default licensing option for research data (where no restrictive requirements exists)? We offer all CC options in our Research Data Archive but currently CC BY is the recommended/default option (https://researchdata.reading.ac.uk/data_policy.html).

I’m persuaded of the case for use of CC0 where possible:

- it is easy to understand for data depositors and prospective users of data, and applicable whatever the jurisdiction;

- it eliminates possible barriers to re-use inherent in restrictive licensing (e.g. complicated attribution stacking for aggregated data), thus enabling the widest possible re-use of data;

- removing the legal attribution requirement does not affect the creators’ right to receive credit through acknowledgement and citation, which is enforced through the norms of scholarly communication;

- it expresses a clear pro-open research position on the part of the University and its researchers.

CC0 is mandated for all data submitted to the Dryad digital repository: see ‘Why does Dryad use Creative Commons Zero?’ at http://datadryad.org/pages/faq. There’s a BMC editorial from 2012 that makes the case compellingly: Hrynaszkiewicz, I. and Cockerill, M. (2012), ‘Open by default: a proposed copyright license and waiver agreement for open access research and data in peer-reviewed journals’. BMC Research Notes. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1756-0500-5-494.

I’d to recommend we make CC0 our preferred licence for data deposited in our institutional repository (with all other options remaining available and at the depositor’s discretion). Does anyone know of a reason why we might not want to do this?

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Robert

Dr Robert Darby | Research Data Manager | Research and Enterprise | University of Reading | Whiteknights House 201 | PO Box 217 | Reading RG6 6AH
Twitter: @robert_darby17
http://www.reading.ac.uk/reas-ResearchDataManagement.aspx
Opening Research at Reading Blog: http://blogs.reading.ac.uk/open-research/