From: Research Data Management discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peretsman-Clement, Gail
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: depositing data in multiple archives

Thanks for the very helpful discussion to date!

Caltech has been wrestling with what best practices to adopt in the event a dataset is deposited in CaltechData that indicates, in the DataCite metadata field for “related to” that it is identifical to another dataset. We recognize that two datasets may be identical at a given point in time (ergo, when one dataset is deposited in our repository) b ut are struggling with the curatorial task of disclosing that the datasets may diverse down the road.

We’ve been looking for guidance on how to populate the DataCite metadata template in cases of duplicate datasets when there is a need to deposit identical datasets in multiple locations (say to meet funder and institutional requirements). We also wonder how to guide users when they’ve duplicated a dataset but then added to it. It would be ideal to be able to couple the ‘identical’ assertion with an “as of” date to indicate the last know time the two datasets matched.

Appreciate any guidance or examples of how you all have expressed the relationships between datasets in cases where duplication was practiced.

Gail

Gail P. Clement  | Head of Research Services  | Caltech Library  | Mail Code 1-43  | Pasadena CA 91125-4300  | 626-395-1203

http://orcid.org/0000-0001-5494-4806 | library.caltech.edu