Further to Joanne's point I would go further and say that not only is the training course content a resource but the curriculum is also a resource. Presented with a curriculum participants can choose which bits are relevant and use it to navigate their self management. This conceptualisation is particularly important if participants can pick and choose from a multicomponent intervention because one could wrongly conclude that a certain component isnt working when the mechanisms might be that people decide that it is not of value, or they misunderstand how it is described etcetera and therefore dont engage with that component.

Interestingly the above seems like the complete reverse of the intention to treat principle in RCTS that we most certainly should not assume that the participants are getting what the programmer planned in our analysis but instead we try to establish which actual mechanisms fire for which participants.

Best wishes

Andrew

Lead Author of Systematic Approaches to a Successful Literature Review, 2nd Edition by Sage Publishing (Publication Date: May 2016]

Dr Andrew Booth BA MSc Dip Lib PhD MCLIP
Reader in Evidence Based Information Practice
School of Health and Related Research (ScHARR)
University of Sheffield,
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
SHEFFIELD
S1 4DA