Hi Becky,

Interesting point. Upon reading this my initial reaction was that I would agree with the possible disjoin between realism and post-modernism that you describe IF you were taking an empirical realist stance.

I think that it would be less pronounced if you took a critical realist perspective which, as I understand, accommodates for the possibility of multiple journeys.

If there is anything in this, and there may not be (as my brain is frazzled!), I think this then moves some way toward the on-going Pawson v Porter debate? In essence, the point you raise seems to grapple with the boundaries of the different forms of realism.

Maybe these differences are what influenced the differentiation between facts and alternative facts that the Trump administration has recently highlighted, though I doubt such critical reflection goes on!

Best wishes,

Andy

Andrew Harding | Research Associate in Health Research| Division of Health Research| Faculty of Health and Medicine|

C67 Furness Building| Lancaster University| Lancaster| LA1 4YG  ( + 44(0)1524592847

Skype ID: andy_leicester

Twitter: @AndrewJEHarding

Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andy_Harding

Academia.edu: https://lancaster.academia.edu/AndyHarding