Spend as much time as possible looking into things scientific in South Korea and sell stories to publications back home.

No one can in the UK afford to have staff, or even stringers, these days and South Korea is very important on the technology front. You don't even have to put much effort into discovering the latest and greatest. The level of ignorance here is such that simply explaining how things work is “news”.

A good place to start would be with groups in the UK that have links with South Korea. They can engineer introductions for you.

In the wake of Brexit, there could be growing interest in UK collaboration with S Korea. One eminent materials research told me that he is already diverting attention from EU deals to arrangements with countries elsewhere.

Your timing is perfect. By the time you get back, you could have a portfolio of stuff that can sell you to potential employers. You may find that the idea of a Masters goes out the window.

Oh, and don't stick to the UK media. You might find even more interest in the US of A.

Good luck. It should be a fun gig.

MK