Teena,

You ask what Keith meant by "self-governance." Funny, but I was going to
ask you the same thing, as you used the term in the first line of your post
- "before we celebrate our capacity for Gibson’s idea of
self-governance...." I read Keith's use of the term as simply referring to
your use of it.

I took (or perhaps mis-took) your use of the term as referring to
"governance" of an organization by its own members, which is how I read
Bob's interpretation of Gibson.

In any case, it seems to me that your post was a pretty good example of
what Bob wrote about:
"Such an approach to governance both allows and expects all members, again
over time and especially with careful deliberation, to continuously examine
and re-examine those principles and their decision consequences, and
gradually and reflectively (not reflexively) adjust them as they see fit."
Assuming I'm correct in my interpretation, then I thank you for your
contribution to helping the community re-examine and adjust our principles.

\V/_  /fas

*Prof. Filippo A. Salustri, Ph.D., P.Eng.*
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://deseng.ryerson.ca/~fil/
ORCID: 0000-0002-3689-5112 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3689-5112>
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."