Dear Shujoy,

your comments are absolutely appropriate if you are talking about intersectionality. Do google the term if you have not heard of it, because it theorises Otherness based on the intersection of race, class, gender, age, ability, sexuality, etc. in relation to the presumed default of heterosexual, white, wealthy, able, older male.

In terms of our discussion on gender, it is common for such debates to position women in the ‘other minorities’ when discussing systemic and ongoing disadvantage in relation to the default. It’s a way to deflect feminist arguments – but nonetheless, while there are differences between women (and feminism has whiteness at its historical core), it is the presumed differences between some men and all women in a relational network of power that is central to the discussion on gendered practices.

no offence taken :) and no attempt to demean your own experiences of discrimination.
all the best,
teena