Teena,

Sorry for the confusion. I don’t think I’m autistic but I do tend to be too literal at times, failing to respond to some cues. You seemed to be challenging Don about why he declared *in a particular instance* that something was bad behavior and that was what I answered. Extending that to some larger descriptions of behaving badly is easy if you’re just seeking a couple of for instances. (Deliberately misstating facts and defaming people of course come to mind.) But that clearly isn’t what you meant.

If your actual question was on whose terms, in what contexts, and who gets to decide good/bad behavior in academic debate, I would suggest that any community standards are both imposed on and arise from the community in question.

To the extent that standards arise from a community, the best way for someone to influence the standards is to be part of the community. In the case of this list, being part of the community would probably be defined as participating in discussions. That can be done by joining a thread or initiating a conversation. So Cindy Kohtala, for instance, is likely to have real influence on the answers to the questions you ask as applied to this list. People who never post (even if they never post for very good reasons) are quite unlikely to have an influence.

I’m not stating this as a framework for social justice or a personal preference. It is what I see as a fairly pragmatic prediction.

As to the seeming adversarial nature of the dialog here, there are several factors at play:
Some of it is actual one-upmanship—jerks playing meaningless games just to win. Okay. Ignore them. (Or ignore us if you think I fit that description.)

Some of it is faulty communication strategy. (I’ll have to read the book Carma suggested. My experience is that when Carma says something, it’s worth listening to.) If better communication strategies are introduced by example, I have faith that they will prevail (even if sometimes obscured by the noise.)

Some of it is systematic testing of ideas by people who care about ideas. (If other ways of testing ideas can work as well or better, they will have their place.)

In short, I’m all for the discussion you proposed.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program